Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cat II

(Back-story here.)

In a few minutes David will be home to pick up Coco and take her to the vet's. To be put to sleep.

I'm absolutely SICK about it. I don't want to do it.

She's still peeing everywhere, and my house reeks. But the past few days, she must have sensed her number was up because she's been so sweet. Last night, she lay curled next to me on the bed, purring. Of course, the kids were asleep and the house was quiet.

"Perhaps things will be better when school starts soon. The house will be quiet more often, then..." I thought.

I've tried everything to find a home for her. I've ran numerous ads on both petfinder and craigslist. I've received several emails of people interested, but no one follows through.

I've contacted 2 shelters; our local humane society and a no-kill shelter. Neither can take her. One offered me guidance in rehabilitating her. I read and read everything I could find online about how to cure her peeing habits. I could possibly handle to poop on the carpet, but the pee? No.

(There's little no info on how to stop cat aggression. Especially on a formerly "tame" cat.)

I devised a plan and was all set on keeping her. I put her on the wait-list for the no-kill shelter.

But then, she attacked me again, hissing and being really weird. And when I yelled "No, Coco" out of alarm? She pounced ON TOP of Marin, who was sitting on the floor.

I've had pets my entire life, and I've never once been afraid of any of them. Until now. I'm actually afraid she's going to hurt one of us. Several years ago, a friend had a cat-bite puncture wound that was HORRIFIC. She showed it to me a couple of times... and I can't stop seeing it now.

We're calling the local shelter one last time to see if they have room for her. One way or another, she's in her pet taxi, ready to leave our house. My fingers are crossed... and my stomach is hurting.

Please, let there be a suitable home for her, somewhere out there!

6 comments:

Jess said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about this. I hope you can find a last-minute savior, but if not, truly, this sounds like the most humane thing for everyone. The cat isn't happy, obviously, and neither are you. The only other option would be to literally dump her on the side of the road and that certainly is not humane.

Marie Green said...

Oh, Jess, if I could find her a home as a barn cat (David's parents!) that would be awesome. But she's terrified of being outside and has zero skills for that. She'd probably just hide until she died. Which is obviously much worse...

Erica said...

I know how you feel. It would tear me up to be in your shoes. But, you have to protect your girls first and foremost. You've done everything humanly possible to find a new home for Coco. I'd honestly be worried to send her to a new place because what if she freaks out again and the new people aren't as patient as you are?

I think you're doing what's best for your family. It's shitty, but it's best.

d e v a n said...

I'm so sorry. :( What a sucky situation to be in.

Kelsey said...

Again I am so sorry you guys find yourselves in this situation, but you obviously cannot keep an animal that is being aggressive toward you or your kids. Will cross my fingers that someone calls to offer a last minute reprieve.

Swistle said...

I'm so sorry. I know it doesn't help, but it sounds to me like you're making the right choice.