Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cat

So.

What do you do with a cat that you no longer can provide a home for?

Because the cat is a) a miserable recluse living in fear of ANY NOISE, and you happen to have 3 noisy children. b) so miserable that she has taken to peeing on things, especially when you are WATCHING, and also pooping on things. c) has started attacking the children- unprovoked, like they are just walking by- with a vicious sounding noise and intent to hurt. d) also attacked your head and hurt you while you were simply sitting on the sofa.

She's healthy- at least physically. A month or so ago I put an ad for her on craigslist and petfinder (before she started the peeing/pooping and mean attacks) trying to find her a quiet home where she could be happy. Even without the litter box and aggression habits, I wasn't able to rehome her.

Peeing on things (and thus, in many cases, ruining them, as cat pee smell is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove) (and some of the things she's already ruined include the original hardwood floor of the office) is a deal breaker. I hate to sound like a total animal-hating dickweed- and I can assure you I really abhor ANY kind of animal abuse or neglect- but I simply can't have a cat pissing on things, especially when there's no physical reason for doing so.

She can't go to a farm because she's TERRIFIED of the outdoors.

Seriously, what do you do?

Because David emailed our vet's office about euthanasia, and that might be the only option we have at this point. I mean, it's hard enough to find a home for a healthy, friendly KITTEN, much less a scared, aggressive, pissing CAT.

(It's our cat Coco- pictured here as a baby- who started off shy but sweet but has slowly spiraled to her current state...)

7 comments:

Erica said...

Do you a "no kill" shelter in Tiny Town or a nearby Big Town?

Erica said...

Do you HAVE... gah!

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that, though not the aggression part. I would certainly talk to your vet to see if he/she has any suggestions. Euthanasia sounds like the kindest option for your all. She certainly doesn't deserve to live a miserable life feeling terrified and you can't have a cat who might attack you or your family.

I'm so sorry.

d e v a n said...

What a sucky situation. If there is not a willing shelter, I would strongly look at euthanasia too, sad as it is. ;(

Swistle said...

I like Erica's suggestion of a no-kill shelter. Our local one is GREAT...or I guess I should say it really seems great, because I guess I wouldn't KNOW-know. But I know someone who works there, and we've been there many times just to visit the animals, and we've adopted two cats from them now. They're no-kill, and they require a payment for taking the cat---it's something surprisingly high, like $150, but then they take care of the cat for the rest of its life and they make it as happy as possible: giving it a private cage or a room with other cats depending on the cat's preferences---or of course adopting it out if someone wants to take the cat on.

Another possibility is psych meds. We have a cat who has been having an on-again-off-again problem with peeing/pooping out of the box, but the last time I talked to the vet she said we should discuss psych meds at the next visit: the meds can stop the peeing/pooping in some cases AND make the cat feel happier and more relaxed.

BUT, the peeing/pooping is my cat's only real problem---she's not aggressive. So I know what you mean about not wanting to sound like a cat-hater, but I WOULD put a cat out of its misery if the cat were in misery. It really seems like the kindest option in some cases.

Kelsey said...

Even though I have no helpful suggestions, I can see how you are feeling at the end of your options. Aggression toward the children would for sure be the last straw for me.

Maybe a bigger town would have a no kill shelter if yours doesn't.

Kristin.... said...

We had to return a cat to the shelter that we'd had for TEN YEARS because of the same issue-he peed everywhere, even in our brand new house, and I just couldn't put him down. He was eventually adopted and I was so happy. I miss him still and it's been 4 years. I feel your pain.