Monday, July 12, 2010

Halp!

*****UPDATE: I decided to print them all 8x10 to help me decide. HOWEVER, #4 Easter Morning and #6 Childhood were significantly changed when cropped to be 8x10 (and printing 8x12 isn't an option). With #4 both girls on the sides are cut in half. It might still be an ok photo- I might even like it BETTER- but it might look really odd. It was hard to tell. With #6, I had to chop off the little boy on the left side completely.

Does this change anyone's mind??

(Original post:)

I know I'm not giving you very much time for this, as I have to submit my photo(s) TOMORROW. But I thought I had it figured out and now I don't know and AEIIIIIII.

Ok, so here's the deal. Tiny Town County Fair is coming to town this week, and I am entering 2 photos- just for fun- into the Creative Arts building "contest". Meaning: all the photos entered will be judged and ribbons will be awarded.

I really don't care much if I win or not (like, at all), but if everyone I know in Tiny Town is going to potentially be SEEING my photos displayed on the wall, then I want to make a good selection.

So, here's what's in my pool of possibilities. Please vote for TWO. Please? (And thank you.)

(If this kind of thing makes you squirmy, leave me an anon comment.)

Option 1: Twilight from my front step:


Option 2: Tree lover:


Option 3: 4th of July


Option 4: Easter morning:


Option 5: Miss Daisy:



Option 6: Childhood:


Thanks again, ya'll.

P.S. Whatever I choose will be printed (at Walmart, UGG) as an 8x10.

P.P.S. The judges are folks from the Tiny Town Art Council. I have NO IDEA what they look for, if these particular judges will happen to know lots or next-to-nothing about photography, or if it's mostly "professionals" that enter vs. amateurs. I always look at the photography display, but though I can't recall with complete certainty, I remember it being mostly less-professional looking photos...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

My vote is for "Twilight" and "4th of July". But, you know how I feel about your photography. Well done! :)

From Tea

Anonymous said...

Josh says, 4th of July first, tree hugger second, twilight third. (maybe even miss daisy with those blue eyes! - he thinks this might win because of the coloring, but its not his favorite of them - also the composition with the skirt. Best) So, does that clear it up for you? :)

Rebecca said...

Option 2, then option 3. All are really, really good choices of composition, though.

Swistle said...

I can only narrow it down to THREE: options 1 (twilight), 2 (tree hugger), and 4 (Easter morning). But I feel pretty strongly about #4, so if it HAS to be two, I might go with #4 and #1 (for child/nature variety) or with #4 and #2 (for color/BW variety and also unposed/posed variety). I don't know! I don't know! TOO HARD!

-R- said...

I like 1 and 2 the best. In fact, I like 2 the best overall.

Giselle said...

I know nothing about photography and what is considered good or bad. So my opinion is worth just about zilch :)

The order of my favorites:
#1
#6
#5
#4
#2
#3

Karen said...

I vote for #1 and #3. Good luck!

~Cassie said...

Tree lover and Miss Dasiy. Definately.
Tree lover looks like a winner, beautifuly balanced, gorgeous subject, fun without looking too posed.
Miss Daisy is so...innocent looking. She's truly beautiful and it is a perfect capture of a moment in time.

Jess said...

I like options 2 and 4. Man, not exactly a consensus here, huh?

Jen said...

Easter Morning and Miss Daisy. Best composition and lighting.

Mandie said...

Twilight and Miss Daisy. I am being diplomatic in choosing a non-kid photo and a kid photo, but I honestly wish you had more scenery choices, just because using adorable kids seems like cheating. Miss Daisy is a basically perfect photo, though.

Marie Green said...

McMama- I wish I had more landscapes too! I have a couple that were in my longer list, but I feel like the judges (older women, I'm almost sure) wouldn't like them. AND I have more good photos of kids, because that's what I photograph the most. I guess I felt like most of my landscapes were laughably amateur...

Anonymous said...

After glancing again (josh and I both agree) that Miss Daisy is a winner. So, two for Miss Daisy - but we still like twilight and 4th of July. I'll try to keep my comment to that only. :)

Tammy

LoriD said...

I like Miss Daisy and Childhood (even with the boy choppped off. They're all so good!

Beautiful Neighbor said...

Miss Daisy - just a perfect picture! The colors are so vivid, and the composition is amazing.

Kelsey said...

4 and 6 were my favorites - good luck!

Emily said...

Disclaimer: I know nothing about photography, just know what I think is pretty. I like #1 best, then #2. Miss Daisy is a close third.

Sarah said...

I liked twilight and tree lover the best.