Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Recipe: Sausage, Potato, Kale Soup

[**Edited to add: this is my favorite soup recipe. EVER. And I? I like soup.]

This is supposed to be the recipe for Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana. It's close, I think.

Sausage Potato and Kale Soup

1 lb mild ground Italian sausage
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 large diced onion (red or white; I usually use red)
4 TBSP bacon pieces (optional)
2 cloves minced garlic (or 2 tsp garlic puree)
10 cups water
3 TBSP chicken bouillon (or about 5 cubes)
1 cup heavy cream (8 oz)
1 lb sliced potatoes and/or a few turnips
(I don't measure this; I just use whatever amount of the two I have on hand; usually about 4-6 cups, chopped)
1/2 to 1 bunch kale, chopped

*brown sausage with red pepper and set aside
*in stock pot, saute onion, bacon (if using), and garlic for about 15 minutes, until onions are soft (if not using bacon, add a glug of olive oil)
*mix chicken bouillon and water, add to onion mixture and bring to a boil
*once boiling, add potatoes and turnips and cook until soft (about 1/2 hour; less if potatoes/turnips are sliced thin)
*add heavy cream and heat through
*stir in sausage
*add kale just before serving

I usually slice the potatoes and turnips quite thin, to speed in cooking. Especially in the summer, I don't love standing over a hot pot any longer than needed.

Most of the time, I don't bother with the bacon. If we happen to have some bacon pieces (like for salads) I'll add them, but I haven't noticed that it makes a huge difference either way.

Last night, David added about 2 bunches of kale (at least twice the recommended amount) and it was still awesome. I actually loved the extra kale.

(SmugslashBrag Factor: the onions, garlic, potatoes, turnips, and kale were all fresh from our CSA, which a) is awesome and b) is so damn lucky. All of these, ripe the same week!)

No comments: