Monday, December 21, 2009

So, Here We Are... And Also a Meme

620 miles of driving looking at scenery like this *could* have been worse, I guess....



After 2 days of traveling, 3 stops to visit various relatives, and quite a few "My PENIS sees Grandma's house bwahhahahahahahahah" type jokes ignored, we are here.



It always takes us a day to adjust/recover/rest once we arrive. Today was spent running a few errands, playing Wii, and generally not "doing" anything productive or Christmassy. We thought about celebrating solstice, so I guess that means we "celebrated" it.



So anyway, nothing much here... how 'bout a meme? Seester is sitting here, chiming in with her smart ass answers.



Eggnog or hot chocolate? We both say hot chocolate. Though I tried eggnog for the first time last week. Made my bellah nice and warm, and was ok as long as I didn't think "I'm drinking RAW EGGS". Which, for all I know, there aren't even any eggs in Eggnog, but hey.



Also, I learned that (at least around here) Eggnog is a "Catholic Thing".



Does Santa wrap the presents or leave them open under the tree? Well, now we are having ourselves a little argument about whether Santa brings gifts or just fills stockings. But clearly, this is MY BLOG and I say that he brings GIFTS and fills our stockings. And Seester is WRONG. And he wraps the gifts.



(But, well, WAIT. He doesn't *have* to wrap them? Santa might be feeling much lazier after this little factoid was realized.)



Colored lights on tree or white? We both prefer white, but we grew up with colored. Right now, sitting at my mom's, it's hard to answer because she has, um.... (I'm waiting while she counts).... SEVEN trees.



Do you hang mistletoe? I would, if I had any. But I'm not sure where to get it, and isn't it poisonous? And, also, where to hang it? Actually I think David and I had some once.

Seester is remembering that our parents (back before we came from a "broken home" and all) used to hang it above their bed. *SHIVER*


When do you put decorations up? Well, for sure never before Thanksgiving. We usually get our tree the first week(ISH) of December, and then all the decorations get hauled up from the basement.


Seester doesn't own any decorations. And if you were on my mom's Christmas card list, you'd also have been merrily informed that she lost her job! And is living with my mom! And gee thanks mom for outing Seester As Looser in the annual letter!


(And now the internets know. Your welcome Seester.)


What's your favorite holiday dish? Oh, easy: pickles wrapped in cream cheese and corned beef. YUM.


Do you open gifts Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? It depends on the year. When we are with my family, we often do most of our gifts on Christmas Eve, leaving the Santa stuff for Christmas Day.


How do you decorate your tree? Is this a trick question? We, ah, decorate with lights and ornaments like everyone else, I guess. Our tree doesn't have a "theme". We use white lights and the large collection of ornaments that we've collected over the years. I'd love a decent tree topper. And our tree skirt is a red quilted number I picked up years ago from the Martha line at Kmart.


Snow. Love it or hate it? Well, since I've spent a significant part of the past several years bitching about MN weather on this blog, I'm a little sheepish to admit that I like snow. At first anyway. It's pretty, it puts me in the holiday spirit, and frankly, if it usually has to WARM UP to snow, which is nice.


The snow could stop completely by mid-February and I wouldn't complain for one second.


Can you ice skate? If you mean, can I tie on a pair of skates and make my way in a semi-upright position around the ice, then yes. But I can't do spins or figure eights or anything that comes close to resembling grace. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

(Seester actually took figure skating as a kid, though, so she's fairly decent on a skates.)

What's your favorite holiday desserts? E: All of the Above

What's your favorite holiday tradition? On years we are home, our neighbors light luminaries up and down our street for a couple of blocks. They are lit at dusk and burn for hours. We usually go for a walk, no matter how cold, to admire them. And sometimes the girls hear "Santa's bells"!

Candy Canes- yum or yuck? We's not big on peppermint 'round here. But all the various fruity ones are aces.

Favorite show? Seester like "the one where he sticks his tongue to the thing". I like the old version of "Miracle on 34th Street", "Elf", or "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". (<--Seester likes that one too, she says.)

7 comments:

Erin said...

Glad you made it safe!

Can I just say how FUN it is that Seester is a semi-active participant on you blog? I'm Seester fan! Maybe a guest post?

Swistle said...

I am getting increasingly fond of Seester.

OMG about the mistletoe bed. Why are parents so GROSS?

The Workman Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
d e v a n said...

This has got to be the funniest meme I've read! Love how you and Seester collaborated. hee!

I agree with Swistle about the mistletoe. EW!

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Glad you made it safely - what a long drive! Merry Christmasto you all, hope it's full of joy and plenty of hot chocolate and desserts!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I laughed out loud a couple of times. :) I'm pretty sure you and your seester would have me crying from laughter...merry christmas, friend. :) Tammy

Lurking seester said...

Hello Seester's readers- my seester and I are awesome- your right to be jealous :) If you don't have a cool sister, you should get one.

P.S. Seester- I would like to thank you for pointing out to the internet world that I live with MOm :)