Thursday, December 31, 2009

Two Years in a Row... Makes It a Tradition, No?

Why do the Sundry-end-of-the-year post? I say, why NOT?

(You can read my 2008 year-end post here.)

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

We joined a CSA and became more aware of where our food comes from. Additionally, we made a few other baby-steps in being more environmentally friendly (using cloth napkins, buying *very little* plastic, etc. I allowed ALL THREE of my kids to go to South Dakoto, without David or me. I learned how to make lefsa and how to knit.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I did not make any for last year. I had a few wishes (a DSLR, a fence) but sadly I did not get either. THAT WILL CHANGE FRIENDS. Erm. I hope.

For this year, I resolve to:

-Take a photography class

-Take a knitting class

-Participate in some kind of organized race/triathlon. Either alone or as part of a relay team.

-Spend alone time with each of my daughters monthly

-Stop swearing so effing MUCH!

-Discover any health reasons for being tired and solve them

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My bestie, East Coast Anne, delivered herself a gorgeous baby girl in January. Beautiful Neighbor also had a daughter, my favorite little Ewok, in April.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Blessedly, no. Once again, a year avoiding THAT bullet. I am eternally grateful.


5. What countries did you visit?

Listen, this question just makes me feel like a HUGE TRAVEL REJECT. While I didn't travel internationally, I DID get on a plane to visit East Coast Anne, aforementioned New Baby, and the rest of her sweet family.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

A fence, a DSLR camera. Yes, CAMERA was on my list last year too. But I'll be goddamned if it will be on next year's list.


7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Leah birthday in September seemed like a big deal this year. Or, at least, she herself seemed so BIG. Also, sadly, I'm not sure I will ever forget how rotten Christmas Eve 2009 was.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

We learned how to "put food up" for the winter, something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I also learned to knit (or, I'm learning to knit) and learned to make lefsa, both from my grandma. I'd want to learn both of those things anyway, but learning from her was extra-special.


9. What was your biggest failure?

I've spent a lot of time this year feeling like my body is failing me. I know that sound melodramatic, and I don't mean too (I know that there are many more significant ways a body can fail a person). However, being so damn tired all the time and not knowing the root cause, being very active and exercising only to never feel any stronger, gaining weight despite it all.... very frustrating.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I found out I was anemic in May, but after months of Large Doses of Iron, I only feel slightly less weary.


11. What was the best thing you bought?

I had so many garage sale/thrift store finds- mostly furniture- that I'm delighted with. The almost-new white IKEA chair that matches the rest of our furniture perfectly, the many white bookshelves, the little tiny antique desk and chair that Marin uses as a vanity, those peacock blue dining room chairs.... The more I add these "perfect" finds, the more our house feels like our Forever Home.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My daughters, and how gracefully they adjusted to school and separate classrooms, how quickly they picked up reading, and all around what awesome people they are becoming. Seester and her great attitude when life didn't go as she planned.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

My Dad's girlfriend. I... it's just.... well, there are no words.


14. Where did most of your money go?

House, food, gas, bills... you know, the usual.


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

I really was inspired when I found SouleMama's blog. I'm slowly learning how to sew and do other "crafty" things.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

This song, along with its famed Youtube video. (Chris Browne's Forever) (My GAWD, I just watched that again, and I *STILL* get choked up.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:


a) happier or sadder? I'm not sure that I'm happier, per se. I do think, however, that each year I step into my own a little bit more, am a little bit more aware of who I am and what I want, am more comfortable in my skin. While this doesn't necessarily equate to happiness, I think there is something quite satisfying about it.


b) thinner or fatter? Do we have to go over this AGAIN? Fine. Fatter. And not happy about it.


c) richer or poorer? Richer in ways that money can't measure, but otherwise about the same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

I wish David and I would have gone somewhere special, just the two of us. Also, I wish I'd spent more time reading before bed instead of wandering mindlessly around the interwebs.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Thinking negatively.


20. How did you spend Christmas?

As usual, we always celebrate Christmas around 49203 times. This year, Christmas Eve was a total BUST at my dad's, Christmas Day was a little better at my mom's, and we missed David's family Christmas all together. We are going to his parents' house tomorrow night to "celebrate" with them.


21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

I'm not sure this question really applies once you are already married, and you haven't recently added any new family members. I'm always falling more in love with my daughters, though.


22. What was your favorite TV program?

LOST was an obsession for awhile, until I caught up on all of the previous seasons. The usual Grey, Private Practice, and Brothers and Sisters continued to provide weekly entertainment. Oh, and GLEE. How did I almost forget Glee?


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Nope. But I do feel skittish around my dad's girlfriend now. I'm not sure when/if I'll trust her again.


24. What was the best book you read?

I loved Animal Vegetable Miracle and Little Bee. Also, I'm currently reading The Help, and it's promising to be a favorite.


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

I don't think any of you would be surprised to learn that I am extremely, severely, with current music. True story: I've never even downloaded anything from ITunes. Nor, have I ever been on their website.


26. What did you want and get?

Some Smartwool socks, a new laptop, my grandma to come for a visit, some time away from the children....

27. What did you want and not get?

For two years IN A ROW: a DSLR camera. I also really wanted a fence, but David and I could not agree.


28. What was your favorite film of this year?

We barely watched anything this year. Which means we have a LARGE LIST of enticing possibilities the next time we peruse the Redbox kiosk.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 34 in July, and we had a bunch of people for cake. It was last minute and lovely.


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

David not working so much.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Does THIS cover my belly?


32. What kept you sane?

The usual (minus by Beloved Vitamin Z): my friends, my coworkers, Seester, blogging.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I didn't get sucked into any one particular person this year. Perhaps because we didn't watch many movies? Or because I (SADLY) have not ready People magazine very frequently?

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Locally, the school referendum, as I wrote about alot. Nationally, healthcare is something I'm interested in (though not AT ALL savvy about the details).

35. Who did you miss?

If the following list of people could PAH-lease move to Tiny Town, I'd be eternally happy: East Coast Anne, Seester, Tammy, my grandma, and the Olive Garden Dance Party ( you know who you are). Ladies- hop to it! KTHXBYE.


36. Who was the best new person you met?

I'm not sure that I met anyone new this year. Afterall, this is a VERY Tiny Town. However, there are several families/people that we've gotten to know better, and it's been immeasurably satisfying.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

Well, I read the Secret and spent some time pondering how _I_ channel the universe. Beyond that, I'd say that I'm learning how to relax and just BE. With my family, with myself, and with so many other aspects.


38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I'm never good at these types of things. It's possible that I have several quotes, song lyrics, or poems that sum up 2009, but when you ask me my mind goes absolutely blank.


All in all, 2009 was pretty BLAH. I know that for some it was downright awful, and I'm thankful to not be on that train. I'm looking forward to 2010 and all of it's endless possibilities.


No comments: